Sunday 6 October 2019

Retro arabesque earrings

Figure 3.9 - Adams, Z., (2018) Retro Arabesque. Silver and copper filigree and enamel earrings.
These earrings are made in silver and copper and include enamel and yellow cubic zirconias. They were designed for the 2018 Jewellex competition, for which the theme was "retro". I chose to use a tear-drop shape from a retro wallpaper design (see figure 3.10), and incorporate filigree and some enamel into it and design a pair of earrings.

Figure 3.10 - Bednarek, M., (2012). Retro Arabesque. Silver, copper, enamel and CZ earrings.
This piece was designed mostly with the Jewellex competition in mind and does not have high conceptual value. I wouldn't say that it contributions much to my research because it didn't make reference to any specific type of Islamic art or the work of any particular artist. That being said, I do find this piece beautiful and I enjoyed working on the filigree. It also lead me to the realization that I need to focus on the concept behind my pieces rather than aspect of beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment