Tuesday 30 October 2018

Stained glass Embroidery

Figure 3.21 - Adams, Z., (2018). Stain glass embroidery of Juma Masjid door

Figure 3.22 - Adams, Z., (2018). Stain glass door inside Juma Masjid.

This embroidery piece is made from cotton thread and linen fabric and is referenced by interior architecture of the Juma Masjid in Durban and embroidery.

Early in my research I thought about looking for Islamic architecture around the area that I live so that I could visit the building. A beautiful Masjid I had driven past many times but had not toured before had come to mind: Juma Masjid. On a tour I went on, I noticed beautiful stained glass on the doors inside the Masjid (see figure 3.22) and decided to use the designs to create an embroidery piece (see figure 3.21).

This piece allowed me to experiment with a medium I have not used before. I found embroidery to be therapeutic and a great medium through which to tell a story. To me, this piece represents my visit to Juma Masjid and reminds me of the feeling of being in the Masjid, which was peaceful. I consider this piece to be a means of spiritual mediation that serves as worship in the process of creating.

No comments:

Post a Comment