Thursday 29 August 2019

Azza Fahmy

Figure 2.2 - Fahmy, A., (2018). Gold and silver coin-like ring with Arabic Calligraphy 

Azza Fahmy is an Egyptian jewellery designer who uses a lot of ancient Egyptian symbols in her pieces. Some of these ancient Egyptian elements include coins, serpents, Arabic calligraphy, "the evil-eye", Pharaonic wings, moon and star (which is the symbol for Islam) and "the Hamsa hand" (see figure 2.4). Her range is not necessarily "Islamic" but it does include some elements that could be considered a part of Islamic jewellery.

By incorporating signs and symbols from ancient Egypt, Fahmy reveals a sense of spiritual mediation in her pieces. Perhaps this is something I should try since I am also trying to portray a sense of spiritual mediation in my jewellery and art.
Figure 2.3 - Fahmy, A., (2018). Stone cluster and ancient Egyptian charm necklace
I admire that she has created a range of commercial jewellery that has an "antique/ancient" look to it. It is probably because she uses signs and symbols from ancient Egypt but also because she has used precious beads and other elements shared with ethnic jewellery (see figure 2.4). This is an aesthetic that I am trying to create in my pieces although, not as commercial. I am not too fond of the high polished finish and stone-encrusted nature of her jewellery. However, this is something I might have to consider in the future; if I were to create jewellery for the public, then having a more commercial look might be more appealing.





No comments:

Post a Comment