Sunday 6 October 2019

Forged Arabic calligraphy

Figure 3.11 - Adams, Z., (2019). Love, forged. Platinum, citrine and pearl Arabic calligraphy necklace.
Figure 3.12 - Adams, Z., (2019). Love, forged. Platinum and citrine Arabic calligraphy pendant.
The main piece, made in platinum with a citrine gemstone, strung on grey baroque pearls, was made for the 2019 Anglo Plat competition, for which the theme was "Love". There were also a few prototypes made in silver. The pieces in this collection make reference to Arabic calligraphy and its shape was inspired by the animated Al Jazeera logo.

I decided to use the Arabic word for love and write it out in a few contemporary calligraphy styles, which included a variety of styles that I saw online and made up. From the designs, I chose two that partly resembled a stereotypical heart shape (see figure 3.13). The plan for the manufacturing of this piece was to forge the word out of one piece of wire where there would be no filing or sanding necessary.
Figure 3.13 - Adams, Z., (2019). Arabic calligraphy designs for "love"
I practiced my forging to correct the technique until I was happy with the shape of the word. After handing in the platinum piece, I was inspired to try the same technique for a few other Arabic words (see figure 3.14).


Figure 3.14 - Adams, Z., (2019). Forged Arabic words.
The pieces in this collection represent Arabic calligraphy in a unique way and I feel like they contribute a substantial amount to my research. I have been trying to recreate types of Islamic art in unique ways and I think these pieces embody my effort. Bear in mind that Islamic art is not necessarily religious art and Arabic calligraphy is not exclusively an Islamic art form, and these pieces are proof of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment