Sunday 6 October 2019

Geometric filigree rings


There are four rings that were made in this collection, all of which are made in silver and one of which includes cubic zirconias. This collection of filigree rings makes reference to Islamic geometric and arabesque patterns seen in architecture and Moroccan tiles, and is greatly influenced by the technical work of artist Nikolle Radi. Using Radi's techniques of measuring edges for shapes with the twists in filigree wire, I wanted to make geometric filigree that could make reference to Moroccan tiles and Islamic architecture.
Figure 3.6 - Adams, Z., (2018). Arabesque and geometric filigree rings

The first rings, seen in figure 3.6, were fairly simple prototypes that helped me to figure out the technical aspects of creating the geometric filigree. I started with trying to create basic shapes like squares and ovals and put them together to fill a square and circle frame. After reflecting on these pieces, I feel like they were a valuable contribution to my research. This is because I found Radi's technique worked well to create geometric and neat shapes.
Figure 3.7 - Adams, Z., (2019). Zillij in Silver. Silver and CZ arabesque and geometric ring.

The second ring, seen in figure 3.7, incorporated a bit more complicated geometry. I used the eight-point star shape as a frame for the filigree to fit in. This star shape is popular in many types of Islamic art. In this piece I also improved on some technical aspects like making a stronger shank and added colour with stones.

Figure 3.8 - Adams, Z., (2019). Bedouin silver ring. Silver ring geometric filigree ring.
The third ring I made was a band and made reference to patterns of the exterior of the Dome of The Rock shrine (see figure 1.7). For this piece I decided to incorporate small silver balls and cubes to add some character and dimension to the piece. The finished piece has some resemblance to Bedouin jewellery (see figure 1.10), due to the addition of the silver balls and cubes.

Using Radi's filigree measuring technique was a great success for me because the pieces in this collection identify as geometric. These pieces make a strong contribution to my research because they reflect my initial plan, which is to create contemporary jewellery referenced by Islamic art and resembling its characteristics.

No comments:

Post a Comment