Monday 7 October 2019

Juma Masjid ceramic structure

Figure 2.23 - Adams.Z., (2018). Ceramic structure of Juma Masjid.
This ceramic structure is a replica of one of a portion of the Juma Masjid in Durban. It is made up of a dome, arches and pillars. When I chose to make this ceramic structure, I was at a point in my research where I wasn't sure what I should make and focus on. Architecture, being one of my most researched topics at the time, was the direction I decided to go in. I visited the Juma Masjid for the first time on a Beset Durban tour, where I took pictures and learn a bit about the history of the Masjid (KZNIA 2014).

After doing some paintings and drawings of the mosque structure, I tried to interpret them into designs I could make jewellery out of. I wasn't keen on any of the designs, and all I wanted to do was create a three-dimensional structure out of clay, and that's what I did. I hoped that making the clay structure would lead me to other pieces.


Figure 3.24 - KZNIA, (2014) Image of Juma Masjid, Durban

Even though I did not make any jewellery referenced by this topic, I spent time studying the technical details of the masjid that I was trying to recreate and I enjoyed working with the masjid structure.

Also, visiting the masjid was a wonderful experience that, perhaps I will have to do again to get inspired to create more. Being surrounded by beautiful Islamic designs, Quranic calligraphy and the knowledge of being in a place of worship, had transported me mentally to a space in which I felt peace. I realized that the entire process of this project was a means of spiritual mediation.

No comments:

Post a Comment