Saturday 12 October 2019

Abstract


This research project investigates the use of Islamic art as a reference for the design of contemporary jewellery. The report uses the action research methodology which is a practitioner-based, self-reflective study that involves planning, action, observation, documentation and reflection, followed by planning a way forward.

My research began with the simple intention of creating beautiful jewellery referenced by Islamic art, but I found myself interested in researching the history and spiritual aspects of Islamic art as well. As a result, I identified the three common aspects shared among Islamic art, being arabesque, Arabic calligraphy, and geometry.

The paper found the definition of "Islamic Art" to be very vague in truly describing the nature of the subject. Rather it should be considered arts that were made in the lands where Islam was the dominant religion or the religion of the rulers. I eventually found that the process of observation and reflection of art created for the purpose of glorying God and Islam enhanced my spiritual connection with Allah (God). 

No comments:

Post a Comment